UK Property Law

Get UK Property Law Questions Answered by Experts

UK Property Law

I need to fill in N244. It is a dispute with a landlord. We…

Customer Question
I need to fill...

I need to fill in N244. It is a dispute with a landlord. We did not receive any claim form so now have a CCJ order against us. Paid and submitting N244 now is it worth getting a lawyer now or should one be able to deal with this themselves. I sought a legal advice before we moved out (there wasn't a signed contract, we gave notice and he is taking us to court for lost income & didn't return deposit)

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?

UK .. I am not in the USA

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?

I talked to one BEFORE we moved out as the landlord was threatening us with court. Was told he has grounds for this as there is no agreement. Now we got served with CCJ

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

We rented a property with unsigned contract (although a contract was e-mailed, but never signed by all parties), landlord claims we agreed to rent the property until December and is asking for lost income and moving out expenses (cleaning, etc) in the amount of £7k

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: UK Property Law
10/12/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 4 months ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you paid the ccj or do you want to apply to set it aside?

we have applied to have it set aside. The landlord had no contract with us and has no right claiming for the following:
Rent from June till 31 December: £8908.12
Professional cleaning of the house: £300
Professional carpet cleaning: £160
2 different Paint cans for the living room and staircase to fix the big scratches left by you: £38
Labour for fixing the paint work: free
Garden: £40
Gutters: £80
Broken toilet seat: £15He never took over the property as I think he wanted to make a point that we are abandoning the property. We left all in order, did not owe him anything. Lived there for 6 months and the above costs are just ridiculous anyway. The Protection Deposit company still holds our deposit (£1900) - he did not want to use their dispute resolution service. But did not inform us of applying for CCJs.
So no, we do not believe we should pay

Ok, if you have applied to set aside what do you need an n244 for?

Sorry - I am applying to have it set aside. Sorry that is my question - it this something I can do myself or should I seek an advice? (I have sought a solicitor's advice before moving out, it was said that as there was not a signed rental agreement he has no right to any threats he was making.) I don't understand how this is the first point of contact we have had, meaning we had to pay the fee and need to submit the N244. Also not sure if I ask about the court hearing or no hearing or telephone hearing? This SHOULD be straight a straight forward case, I think ....
The addressed used was on the letter was the one of the rented house (without the house number, though) - we had a redirection in place for this and so should have received all the correspondence.

Have you sent in the n244 yet?

No

Ok - what do you want to know about this ?

Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor