UK Property Law

Get UK Property Law Questions Answered by Experts

UK Property Law

In December 2013 my wife and I bought a flat in UK. Our

Hello,In December 2013 my wife...
Hello,In December 2013 my wife and I bought a flat in UK.
Our solicitor failed to inform us that when we sell the apartment we have to pay 0.5% of the value of the property multiplied with the number of years we are living in the apartment to the building management company.
We found out by reading one of the leaflets which we received with the news about the building. Indeed when reading the contract the clause is there but we trusted our solicitor. I thought that's why we are paying him!
Also the seller didn't mention this.I think we've been mislead and I was wondering if there is anything we can do about this situation.Thank you.
10/11/2017
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate

If he has not explained it and you have lost money or potentially lost money as a result of his negligence then you have a potential claim for compensation. Firstly there are solicitors who would take such a claim up on your behalf on a no win no fee basis. You could also write to the solicitor setting out the basis of your claim for compensation. I would however be minded to get a solicitor to represent you in a negligence claim as set out above.

Thank you for your quick response.
What would be our chances of success? Also could you recommend someone?
Thank you.

If they failed to advise you on something as fundamental as this then your prospects should be good. We are not allowed to recommend firms but - you want a firm which specialises in solicitor negligence. Please rate positive

I hope that this answered your question. Justanswer works on people giving ratings. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate