UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

Yesterday my son and four others moved into a rented house.

It is furnished. This is...
Yesterday my son and four others moved into a rented house. It is furnished. This is not their permanent residence.
They are letting it through a letting agent.
They are paying over £2200.00 a month
They paid £3200.00 as a Deposit
The property has a long list of problems
We could find Tenants Copy of the Gas Safety Certificate. We were told this would be e-mailed later. Is that good enough?
The shower pours water into the nextdoor bedroom. The toilet is not fitted to the floor or the wall. it is only held there by a flexible connection. The shower and the whole bathroom is covered in black mould due to insufficient ventilation and poor cleaning.
Bedroom 1 - No carpet just poorly fitting floorboards. We were told this would be done next week
The mattress is badly stained and very old.. Again we were told this would be changed next week
Curtains hanging off
Bedroom 2 - Old and tired mattress. They felt that was acceptable. Bed is described as a double infact only 4ft
No curtains. Broken Chair
Bedroom 3 - Old and tired mattress. Again they thought this was accetable.
Curtains hanging off. Broken Chair
A cupboard housing the electric meter. with an ill fitting door of poor quality and badly painted.
Bedroom 4 - Dirty stained mattress - Will be changed next week. Agent claimed it was not dirty just tired.
Curtains hanging off.
Bedroom 5 - in the basement. Strong smell of damp. we now know this is probably from the leaking shower.
Mattress dirty and stained.
Cheap nasty wardrobe that will fall on someone.
The Gas meter is housed in a cupboard which is filthy dirty.
Kitchen/Diner - Two sofas. Clearly too small for 5 people. Both looking like they had been ripped apart by a dog. The agent says they will have to speak to the owner.
- The is no where to sit and eat. Is this Acceptable?
The downstairs toilet is direct off the kitchen - The door is ill fitting and of very poor quality. A large gap all the way around.
One ceiling light is hanging out
A large hole in the floor covering where a piece of furniture has been removed.
Back garden is decked and has clearly never been cleaned or even swept.
There is a shed but the door is left on the ground
The general condition of the house is very very poor. Black mould behind every radiator.
One staircase is very steep but has no handrail.
The carpets are ill fitting and threadbare in places
I could go on and on.
The agent has said that a third party had carried out the inspection and that they had not yet received a copy
They have bunkered down in defensive mode. I fear that none or very few of thiese problems will be addressed
What are our rights. How should we complain and who to?
9/15/2017
F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor

Hello - what would you like to happen? do you want out of the tenancy?

F E Smith
F E Smith, Solicitor
No I just would like the agents to be clear that we want all the issues addressed. How should I seek to resolve the matter. I would like to know if we can ask for some sort of refund for the days of sleeping on disgusting mattresses. What do they actually need to provide in the way of cleanliness and standard of furnishings on arrival
INC
INC, Solicitor-Advocate
Phone call session started
I haven't received a phone call or an answer. the mobile number you gave me to ring is a wrong number!!!!!