How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34264
Experience:  25 years exeperience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons house has been repossessed. I leant him 26k as a

This answer was rated:

My sons house has been repossessed. I leant him 26k as a deposit to purchase it. No formal paperwork. 19k is being held by solicitors to settle outstanding debts and charges. Can I put in a formal claim for this money as if I have a second charge?

Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** I shall do my bets to help you although the news is not good

Sadly you cannot claim as if you had a second charge since you did not have one - a Registered Charge would have given you the next claim - but in its absence your debt falls to be considered with all the other unsecured debts.

Once the outstanding mortgage has been settled and all legal costs and costs of repossession and sale have been deducted then the remainder has to be sent to the holder of any subsequent registered charge - or returned to your son

I am sorry not to give better news - please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The money has been held by solicitors for eleven months now, is this time limited at all?

That is very odd - what have they actually said so far?

Clare and 2 other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you