UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

A bank obtained a charging order for a debt owed by me only.

Customer Question
Hi, A bank obtained...

Hi, A bank obtained a charging order for a debt owed by me only. A restriction was entered against a property that is jointly owned by my husband and I. Because the property is jointly owned the wording is a Restriction not a Final Charging order. The bank are now threatening to apply for an order for sale. Can they do this on a jointly held property?

Lawyer's Assistant: What are the debts in question? What collection efforts have been made?

The debt was a company debt for which the bank claimed from me personally under a personal guarantee. At the time the court ordered that the debt should be paid in full. I negotiated with the bank to pay by installments, but they regularly threaten to seek bankruptcy orders etc. In October the obtained a charging order (albeit only a restriction as the. property is jointly owned) Now they are seeking an order for sale.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

They obtained a CCJ in 2011. They haven't yet filed for the order for sale, but have written to me to say that if I don not put my property up for sale for well below market value they will seek an order for sale.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I think that is all. AH - are you US based?

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Property Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/7/2017
Solicitor: Jamie-Law, Solicitor replied 1 year ago
Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How do you know its not a final charging order? Wasnt a date set by the Court?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They did set a court date. But because the property is jointly owned, and this is the wording that has been placed at Land Registry - It's not a charging order, simply a restriction that the Bank must be notified in the event of a sale.No disposition of the registered estate is to be registered without a certificate signed by the applicant for registration or his conveyancer that written notice of the disposition was given to Bank of Scotland at [address for service], being the person with the benefit of an interim charging order on the beneficial interest of Niamh Eadie made by the (name of court) on (date) (Court reference.…).
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.