Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I own a house with a lane to the rear(which I also own) and

Customer Question

I own a house with a lane to the rear(which I also own) and which provides access from the public highway to my property. I am also obliged to afford access to users of the community centre, further along the lane, (only accessible by vehicle by using my lane). This is noted in my deeds. I have owned the house for a year and I believe the community centre was built about 20 years ago.
There is no specific mention of vehicular access, so my questions are ;-
1/. do I have to provide vehicular access.
2/. Am I able to charge for maintenance of the lane. (There are about 40 vehicles a day using the lane, only 2 of which are mine).
3/. If I reach agreement over maintenance costs, does this reduce my rights in any other respect.
4/. Can I refuse to allow any further access, for example if someone wanted to build a house where access to the public highway could only be made by use of my lane.
Sorry this is so long but I could really do with some help here.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How many years have users had vehicle access?