How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Property Lawyer Your Own Question
Property Lawyer
Property Lawyer, Judge
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 280
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Property Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Second opinion] - Property Lawyers) Following on from

Customer Question

Second opinion] - Hello (Property Lawyers)
Following on from questions to the Family Law team, here is my property question.
Myself and ex jointly own a house on land (both on mortgage and land title). TIC ie original joint tenancy severed (A)
Immediately next door to that, is a separate land title that we jointly own - 'joint tenants' not TIC. It is not mortgaged, we own it outright as we bought it for cash (B)
My question is, what is involved in altering the ownership documentation of (A) so that there is a shared drive created enabling motor vehicle access to B? Would this be some kind of easement and how does creation and maintenance of the drive generally get documented? What is the way to amend the ownership documents of A and at the Registry.
Submitted: 8 months ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Property Lawyer replied 8 months ago.

I have stated that you need to draft up a deed of easement to secure the right of access over land a. you make it conditional upon contributing to maintenance and repair.

You register the deed of easement at the land registry it is sent with form AP1 and the appropriate fee.

It is also straight forward to transfer ownership, you need for TR1 to record the transfer and that is sent to the Land Registry with form AP1 and the appropriate fee.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok thanks.
Can I clarify, where you mention transfer of ownership - does this require a conveyancing lawyer or is it easy enough for people to do unassisted?
And in the deed, would you see a need for consideration - would that need to be stated as divorce settlement as consideration?

Related UK Property Law Questions