UK Property Law

Get UK Property Law Questions Answered by Experts

UK Property Law

My landlord have change the lock of front door of a house. I

Customer Question
Hi my landlord have change...
Hi my landlord have change the lock of front door of a house. I was renting him just a room. How much time do I have to get my belongings back? How long can i delay in retrieve them back?this is uk questuon
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Property Law
10/21/2016
Solicitor: Jo C., Barrister replied 1 year ago
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister

Are you sharing amenities with him?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. Landlor doesnt live in the house

Who do you share with?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We was 6 tenants in 4 rooms. Council forced landlord to have hmo licence then he said us to leave the house. I was just 3 month i said i will not leave the house. All other tenants left house. Landlord started no topping up electricity. Closing boiler. Clisunf internet. Eventually he chanched lock and i have an email where he sat he will not alliw me to go back to room and to collect my belinfifs he said i need go with police. My intention is have my belongings into the house as much as i can. I have knee broken i cant look for
a new place to allocate them

He can't just evict you without notice or without a court order.

You are not a lodger. You are a tenant.

If need be you could get an injunction to get back in.

If you just want to go though and collect your property then send him a message suggesting dates for collection.

If he won't agree then report this to the police as that is just plain theft.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks but my question was not what to do to collect my belongings. It is difficult to me get them. Plus i will go out of the country for s month. The question is. How long can i have my belongings into ny room without collect them?

In that case, no more than a week.

If that is an issue for you I would try to get back in.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am asking you another question related to this one. Read it please

Please see above.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Then if i am evicted i have only one week to collect ny stuff? If i cant collect it what happen? l have my knee broken it is difficult find s placeb i cant drive

Yes, but you haven't been properly evicted for the reasons above.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok in this case of unlawful eviction. How long i have to collect ny belongings? I have emails saying i cant go into the house. Only with police he say, but police say the will not go with me. Then how much time i have? I want delay at maximum because he want rent the house to a family and ny belingins into the room will make things difficult to him AND MY KNEE BROKEN IS DIFFICULT FIND A PLACE. At the moment i am in a hostel in a roon shared with 8 persons. I have stuff to fill a medium size van

Well, it is as I've said really.

He cannot just evict you in that way.

if you accept the eviction you would have about a week to collect.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If i dont accept the eviction what have ivto do? Andcwhat are the differences if i accept yhe eviction or notb i dont get the differences. I consuder it is unlawful eviction. When you say if i accept the eviction mesns as it is a lawfull eviction? I am lost now
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What i am asking is about times. If i dont do the injuction you say i have only one week to collect my stuff and it will means that i accept the eviction as lawful . is that what you mean?
Jo C.
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister