How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 11148
Experience:  30 years experience in property law.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
JGM is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a UK property through a Cayman Islands Company. I live

Customer Question

I own a UK property through a Cayman Islands Company. I live in the Cayman Islands. I am now buying a second home in the UK and it seems I have to pay far more VAT if the Company buys it. Shall I buy it personally, through my wife or in my kids names who are 10&12. Or is there another way to reduce this liability ? Thanks
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location. Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Im not in a state. I live in the Cayman Islands and the house is a UK property
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  JGM replied 9 months ago.

VAT isn't payable on a residential dwelling. Do you mean stamp duty land tax? If a company buys a residential dwelling in the U.K. an extra 3% of the price is payable in stamp duty land tax. If an individual buys the house this tax doesn't apply as long as the individual doesn't own any other real estate worldwide. If they do then the same tax applies to them. So as long as your wife doesn't own any other property you can buy in her name. Your children are too young. There is no other way to avoid this liability. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.

Related UK Property Law Questions