Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My neighbour's fence between our two properties and adjacent

Customer Question

My neighbour's fence between our two properties and adjacent to my study has fallen down. He has built the fence at the front, between the two houses so that it adjoins my study which is positioned some few inches inside the boundary line; thus his fence is infringing onto my land. Can I simply remove it? And how can I stop him using the wall of my study to prop up ladders, concrete slabs etc?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive

If you simply remove the fence it is likely that he will call the police and claim criminal damage. What you need to do is formally write to him advising him that he is trespassing. Give him a reasonable period of time to remove the wall and make good. There is no specific definition of 'reasonable' - a week to a month perhaps. Then you would need to take an action to court for an injunction if he has not resolved. Often I find that a solicitors letter will do the trick. I hope that this helps. Please rate positive.

I see you have not rated yet. Is there any other questions that I can help you with?

I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you