How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1730
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When my dad passed away, my brother remained in the property

Customer Question

When my dad passed away, my brother remained in the property free of charge because my dads will which was made when my brother was a child stated any of the children could remain in it rent free........then my brother moved a cousin in and charged him rent, which he spends each week and another brother runs a business from the address and gives him some of the profit. Nothing goes in to an account for maintenance. When my parents divorced in 1983, my late mother signed her half over in 1990 on the understanding all the children would inherit the house upon my dads death. There is 9 children. we are all getting older and my brother who lives in the house, is 50 years of age, could survive us all. There are several who would like the property sold and others who don't care either way.I would like my share from the property to help me buy a bungalow. can the courts force the sale if no one wishes to buy my share? The house is a 4 bedroom property which is over and above my brothers needs.
JA: The Property Lawyer's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost. Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: good
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: when my dad died the solicitor handling his affairs never dealt with the property, hence the deeds remain in my dads name....which I disagreed with at the time. The solicitor went into liquidation and another brother now has the deeds in his possession.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Which part of the Uk are you in and what is the exact wording of the Will regarding the house?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Staffordshire.Dad left the house any of his children could remain living in it, for a long as they needed to. Following the property is to be sold and shared. It doesnt say other siblings can run a business or others can live there.It doesnt mention charging rent either and the solicitor who managed my dads estate never amended the deeds, which my brother has in his possession.
Expert:  Clare replied 11 months ago.

I am sorry - I really need the exact wording to give any meaningful advice

Related UK Property Law Questions