UK Property Law

Get UK Property Law Questions Answered by Experts

UK Property Law

I have been sent 4 years backdated council tax bills amounting to £12,000. The property was an agricultural barn...

Customer Question
I have been sent 4...
I have been sent 4 years backdated council tax bills amounting to £12,000. The property was an agricultural barn in 1991 and we paid £33,000 for it and partly converted it to holiday let in 2008 and paid business rates. In 2010 we converted it to residential and this was approved retrospectively so I now have five years of council tax bills which I cannot afford but I see on the form that the band is based on value in 1991 which I can prove and this would save me about £7,000 but I don't know if, because I converted it in 2008 and fully in 2010, that original value will stand.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: UK Property Law
6/1/2016
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 1 year ago
James Mather

Is the money they are now asking for in respect of the period at the new rate, for the time between 2008/2010 and now?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Stuart,
We have been sent bills for Council Tax to cover period from 1.4.2010 to 1.31.3.2016.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1992 - barn with B1 use - had been used as garage, had wc and other facilities but not residential - purchased for £33,000 (by last owners)
2001 - barn with B1 use and now used as a dry flower business - purchased for £65,000 by us from those owners
2008 - converted barn to holiday let upstairs and part downstairs and B1 stayed on remaining 75% of downstairs and paid business rates
2010 - converted to live work unit - we moved in above but then quietly converted downstairs and carried on working there - paid business rates
2015 - applied for restrospective use as residential - granted
2016 - just received backdated Council Tax Bills
The letter states that the band is based on the value in 1991 which I can prove was £33,000 in 1992. apparently as long as within a year either way of the valuation in 1991 this is acceptable evidence of value
My query is, does the fact it has been converted to residential from 2010 by restrospective a 'change of use' negate the value in 1992?Thank youDebbie
Solicitor: James Mather,
 replied 1 year ago
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
thank you for looking Stuart. I am told that this is the case but I want to make sure that I word my appeal correctly which is why I paid to get expert advice. If you are unable to confirm or otherwise, I am going to opt out too and ring a local ex-valuation officer and pay him to advise if that's ok. I need to submit the appeal before the weekend so can you cancel the question and ask the website to refund me the £28 please and I'll pay for other advise. Thank you.
James Mather
James Mather
James Mather