How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1731
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm shortly going to be making some necessary alterations to

Customer Question

Hello, I'm shortly going to be making some necessary alterations to my parents' house, so as to allow me to live in it and provide care for my elderly mother. My father is in care home elsewhere. They are still married and own the property as tenants in common. I would be spending my own money to make the changes, which will amount to around £40,000. What I need to know is whether I can ask for a legal charge to be registered against the property, so that I can be assured of being reimbursed when the house is sold, and whether a registered charge would take precedence over any other claim, i.e. a Will or a claim for care fees by the local authority, if local authority care should ever be needed?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Just for confirmation - there is no involvement with Social Care at present

Related UK Property Law Questions