How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32980
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I currently have a mortgage in joint names with my ex. He

Customer Question

I currently have a mortgage in joint names with my ex. He wants his name off the mortgage as he hasn't paid anything towards mortgage and repairs since we split 3 years ago due to domestic violence on his part. I don't want to sell and my mortgage lenders can't transfer the mortgage into my sole name due to my credit rating although I have paid for it all myself for the 3 years, I have been informed by a few people that there is a legal form I can complete and him to sign
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

are you seeking a second opinion or a new question?

Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is ***** ***** i have been a family law solicitor for more than 30 years.

I am afraid that if your ex wishes to have his name removed from the mortgage then unless your mortgage company agrees to release him; or you remortgage with a new one; or there is some one who will come on the mortgage with you then there are no other options.

I suspect that the form that others have mentioned is the American "Quitclaim" deed - for which there is no UK equivalent.

Unless there are minor children involved then I am afraid your ex will be able to force a sale

Please ask if you need further details


Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

have you spoken to a mortgage advisor?

Related UK Property Law Questions