Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

It has been 10 days since I have messaged them, and still

Customer Question

It has been 10 days since I have messaged them, and still did not get any response. However, today I have received letter from the managing agency saying that an inventory company (they also do cleanliness checks during tenancies) tried to contact me (phone and email) to arrange an appointment, but I did not respond. In fact, I did not get any email or phone call from this company and the managing agency did not tell me about it anytime before. The strange thing is that the date on the letter is one day before I have sent the email about the moth infestation in the flat, but the post stamp is dated only for two days ago. I suspect that the managing company could appoint the inventory service to have an excuse and tell me it was me who infested the flat with moths because of the overall cleanliness of the flat (which is not true – the flat is being kept in a good condition, I clean it every few days).
Moreover, the people in the company are not very friendly and they always respond
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I'm sorry, it seems that my message was not sent properly. I will try to re-send it to youI am a tenant of a rented property in London. The flat is managed by a letting agency, so every issue is solved by them. Few weeks ago, I have noticed cloth moths flying in the living room (which is combined with a kitchen). I found few of them in the sofa (which was here prior to my tenancy), so I have sprayed it with a moth killing spray. Unfortunately, I could still see the moths flying around, so started to look for another nest. When examining the kitchen area, I have discovered that there is a lot of dust, pet food and toys as well as multiple larvae in a void area under the table top (which you cannot see unless you flash a light on it or remove one of the kitchen appliances). I have messaged the property manager and attached a photo of the infested area. One day later, the manager got back to me saying that they will inform the landlord and get back to me ‘ASAP’.It has been 10 days since I have messaged them, and still did not get any response. However, today I have received letter from the managing agency saying that an inventory company (they also do cleanliness checks during tenancies) tried to contact me (phone and email) to arrange an appointment, but I did not respond. In fact, I did not get any email or phone call from this company and the managing agency did not tell me about it anytime before. The strange thing is that the date on the letter is one day before I have sent the email about the moth infestation in the flat, but the post stamp is dated only for two days ago. I suspect that the managing company could appoint the inventory service to have an excuse and tell me it was me who infested the flat with moths because of the overall cleanliness of the flat (which is not true – the flat is being kept in a good condition, I clean it every few days).Moreover, the people in the company are not very friendly and they always respond very slowly for my emails about the need to fix something, but require my response ASAP when they need something from me.My question is – what can I do about this situation? Is there any legal action I can take in order to get the service I am paying for? I find it extremely disturbing that they did not respond to my email but sent a company to check the cleanliness of my flat instead.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

When did you take over the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Semptember 2015
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Does anybody else have access to the property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the only tenant, but the landlady as well as the managing company both have access.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello, when can I expect your response?Best wishes
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, I did respond to this. I don’t know why it didn’t come out.

There are a variety of issues with this.

The one that I can see immediately is that their view is that almost certainly this type of infestation is due to the manner of occupation rather than the structure of the property.

If you had been a very recent tenant then the previous tenant would be responsible.

The way to get works done is to complain to Environmental Health. They will still be interested but whether they will blame the landlord for this I cannot say.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo