How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1734
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I won a 5 year battle at Trial and my legal costs t

Customer Question

I won a 5 year battle at Trial and my legal costs hit £80K. Case was handed own in Jan 2016 is verybut the Claimant is dragging out a settlement of my costs ordered "On Standard Basis" by Judge. Claimant is unreliable and dishonest. I wish to secure my getting paid in case he moves assets around. Can I get a Freezing Order or can I put a charge on his assets. Do I need to ask the Court to do either of these moves to protect my payout?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Thank you for your question and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Has the costs order actually been awarded? Does he own his own home? Kind regards AJ

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for getting back. Mr &. Mrs X (claimants) do own their own home and businesses. My Lawyers prepared our costs but X's will pay "Standard Basis" or ordered by court on Jan 8, 2016. However, X's are dragging their feet and have yet to maker an offer to settle. They want 14 days more having known since Nov19, 2015 that they lost the Trial. I want to place a charge on their property or freeze their assets. Judge declared in Jan 8 order that our costs were very fair. Can you shed light on this please? Rwgards, A S
Expert:  Alex J. replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Thank you. Was an order of any kind made on the 8th Jan? Do you have a costs hearing or return date? You can enforce a judgment by charging order but you need a judgment to do this. I look forward to hearing from you. Kind regards AJ