UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

What interest rate to charge rent payments? A substantial…

Customer Question
What interest rate to charge...
What interest rate to charge for missed rent payments?A substantial amount of rent of over £50,000 is owed, what interest rate's should be charged, as well as are there any other damages we should be charging for so much owed & substantial amount of months unpaid rent.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/5/2016
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate replied 2 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate

It rather depends upon what is stated in the lease. If nothing is stated in the lease then you would often seek to recover pursuant to s.69 of the county court act 1984 (you need to quote this in the particulars of claim) at 8% per annum. There are not other specific sums which can be claimed unless stated in the lease. I hope this helps. Please rate positive.

Can you charge interest on penalties in the t&c? ie late payment charges?Thanks
I read somewhere you can charge interest on penalties, im not sure if that applies to an AST
I mean cant charge interest on penalties

Not on ASTs I am afraid - they are business to business penalties. Please rate positive. Thanks

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.