How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32990
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was gifted my parents property over 20 years ago and both

Customer Question

Hi I was gifted my parents property over 20 years ago and both children were added on to the land registry in july 2009. My mum has now asked for it back and I would like to know where we stand legally
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was gifted there property 20 plus years ago. When my children reached 18 they were added on so the property is in 3 names. They were added on in 2009 July. My mother who lives in the house has asked us to give it back to her. She and my dad when he was alive had an agreement in place that whilst alive they could live there and we were not allowed to do anything with the property until their deaths. My mother says she would feel more secure if it was back in here name? We also agreed to if they wanted to sell and downsize for whatever reason this would be ok. I would like to know if she can ask for it back and what the implications are to do this. Thank you
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also are there any tax implications or capital gains?
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive. The fact is that the property was given as a gift and as such they and you do not need to return the property or their share in the property. Ownership of their share has passed to them and did so many years ago. Happy to discuss but please rate positive.

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has answered your query. I would be grateful if you could please take a second to leave a positive rating (3, 4 or 5 stars) as that is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you need me to clarify anything before you go - please get back to me on here and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you

Related UK Property Law Questions