UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I was gifted my parents property over 20 years ago and both…

Customer Question
Hi I was gifted...

Hi I was gifted my parents property over 20 years ago and both children were added on to the land registry in july 2009. My mum has now asked for it back and I would like to know where we stand legally

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

I was gifted there property 20 plus years ago. When my children reached 18 they were added on so the property is in 3 names. They were added on in 2009 July. My mother who lives in the house has asked us to give it back to her. She and my dad when he was alive had an agreement in place that whilst alive they could live there and we were not allowed to do anything with the property until their deaths. My mother says she would feel more secure if it was back in here name? We also agreed to if they wanted to sell and downsize for whatever reason this would be ok. I would like to know if she can ask for it back and what the implications are to do this. Thank you

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
Also are there any tax implications or capital gains?
Answered in 1 hour by:
2/29/2016
Solicitor: Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate replied 2 years ago
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive. The fact is that the property was given as a gift and as such they and you do not need to return the property or their share in the property. Ownership of their share has passed to them and did so many years ago. Happy to discuss but please rate positive.

This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.