How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70406
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I took in a lodger in November 15. I live at the property,

Customer Question

I took in a lodger in November 15. I live at the property, she shares bathroom & kitchen. Unfortunately, there is not written agreement in place. Rent is paid monthly from 15-14 each month, although not been paid on time since she arrived.
I gave her written notice on 19 Jan to leave by 26 Feb due to change in my personal circumstances. She was miffed by my decision and is unhappy about this. She has found somewhere else to live now.
Refuses to pay rent for period 15 to 26 Feb but insists on staying until the end
Refuses to lock the front door when she comes in after me.
There are some items going missing from my home which are of very small value - I'm at work all day and there is no one else living at the property. I have no evidence of her taking things.
Refuses to clean up after her since I gave her notice
Registered her business at my property but has changed this.
Refuses to listen to me.
I would like to know what I can do in these circumsta
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I change the locks to my property whilst she is out?
What will be the impact of this on me?
How do I reclaim the money she owes for rent?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Has she actually left your property?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she is still there.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.


If she is genuinely a lodger then you do have to give her notice as you have done and you do have to let it expire.

However, it is very easy to evict a lodger. You can literally just wait until she leaves and then change the locks afterwards.

In legal theory you could use force to remove her but I wouldn't recommend it. She will only start making allegations of disproportionate force.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She owes rent for the period 15 Feb to 26 Feb which she refuses to pay. Do I still need to wait for the notice period to end? I can't allow her to live rent free. What do I do in this situation?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you do.

The fact that she is a bad lodger doesn't mean she isn't a lodger.

You could sue her afterwards or deduct from her deposit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure I understand why a lodger has more rights over my property than I do. Appreciate you don't write the law.
She won't leave, she refuses to pay me money she owes and she refuses to lock the front door. What can I do? What are the options available to me given I just want her out.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Well, as I said really.

Give her the notice period and then change the locks.

Then sue or deduct from the deposit if there are arrears.