How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70404
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are 2 months into a six month shorthold tenancy. Our

Customer Question

We are 2 months into a six month shorthold tenancy. Our landlords have not supplied us with the necessary certificates of conformity regarding gas and electrical installations - can we have the tenancy annulled?
Many thanks
Geof Boucher
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry but if you are hoping to escape an AST on the basis that the landlord hasn't given you the certificates then I'm afraid I can only give you bad news.

There is no such thing as an annulment with ASTs anyway. In a very small number of circumstances you can leave - for instance where there is flooding or gutting through fire damage.

Absence of certificates just allows you to demand certificates. In fact, only gas has to be provided. Electricity just has to exist. If there is no CORGI gas test in place then you could make a report to Environmental Health but all that would be is put him in a position where he has to get one. There is a chance that he could be prosecuted and fined but it wouldn't mean you could leave.

If there were a gas leak then that would be entirely different.

Can I clarify anything for you?