How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1730
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm ***** ***** Keattch and it's regarding writing a letter

Customer Question

Customer: I'm ***** ***** Keattch and it's regarding writing a letter of consent for construction to commence after completion of the sale of a plot of land.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The transfer deed has a covenant stating that the transferee is not to develop or carry out any development to the property without the prior written consent of the transferor. I would like help in wording this and should I put a time limit on as to when construction should start.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Solicitors generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Scott Taylor replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

I would be pleased to help you with your query.

All you really need to provide is your consent in writing for construction to commence. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that they have complied with all appropriate planning consents and as such you do not really need to concern yourself with what their plans are for the site.

You may wish to agree a separate timescale for the commencement of construction however it would be normal for consent to be given once completion of the transfer is concluded. This is when title in the land would pass to the purchaser and, as such, this may well be when they want to have the entitlement to commence works from.

Please can you tell me if you have any specific agreement with them as to the start date of the building works? If not, then I would suggest that the letter of consent be silent as to timing and simply allow them to commence works post-completion.

I would be happy to draft you a letter and send that by separate email. In order to do that I will use the "offer additional services" button which will allow me to give you my private email and send documents to you in that way. I would charge a further $15 for that service if that is acceptable?

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kind regards


Related UK Property Law Questions