UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I'm ***** ***** Keattch and it's regarding writing a letter…

Customer Question
I'm ***** ***** Keattch...

I'm ***** ***** Keattch and it's regarding writing a letter of consent for construction to commence after completion of the sale of a plot of land.

Lawyer's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

The transfer deed has a covenant stating that the transferee is not to develop or carry out any development to the property without the prior written consent of the transferor. I would like help in wording this and should I put a time limit on as to when construction should start.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
1/18/2016
Solicitor: Scott Taylor, Solicitor replied 2 years ago
Scott Taylor
Scott Taylor, Solicitor

Dear *****,

I would be pleased to help you with your query.

All you really need to provide is your consent in writing for construction to commence. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to ensure that they have complied with all appropriate planning consents and as such you do not really need to concern yourself with what their plans are for the site.

You may wish to agree a separate timescale for the commencement of construction however it would be normal for consent to be given once completion of the transfer is concluded. This is when title in the land would pass to the purchaser and, as such, this may well be when they want to have the entitlement to commence works from.

Please can you tell me if you have any specific agreement with them as to the start date of the building works? If not, then I would suggest that the letter of consent be silent as to timing and simply allow them to commence works post-completion.

I would be happy to draft you a letter and send that by separate email. In order to do that I will use the "offer additional services" button which will allow me to give you my private email and send documents to you in that way. I would charge a further $15 for that service if that is acceptable?

I look forward to hearing from you in due course.

Kind regards

Scott