How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33037
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am two months into a fixed short term tenancy where the

Customer Question

I am two months into a fixed short term tenancy where the property does not live up to requirement and I am just fed up and want out.
I have already made complaints to the local trading standards and they have found the landlord has not fulfilled his responsibilities, nevertheless I seem to be stuck into a thoroughly unpleasant situation with them not doing anything.
Can I get out of this agreement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

can you advise about the issues with the property please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The shower operates as a trickle of water, therefore you can't get a shower easily.
Water leaks down the side of the bath if trying to have a shower.
"earth wiring" on display below drainage pipe.
Water trickles from tap into wash hand basin.
No controls on central heating, so it is either too hot or cold.
Radiator(s) controls have been removed... no individual valves.
Gas fire cannot be lit.
Water running down the sides of garage during rain and also on to electrical supplies.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Let me see if I can help and please rate positive.

If the property is uninhabitable then the landlord is in breach of contract and you can advise him that unless he rectifies same within a matter of days then you will be forced to find somewhere else to live and will seek to recover any losses that you have suffered. Prior to taking such action (as there is always a risk of court proceedings) it is very important to get a letter or report from the environmental health department of the local council confirming this to be true. I would also suggest that you take lots of photos to confirm same also. Happy to discuss. Please rate positive

Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

I hope this helps. Can you please rate positive for me. Thanks