How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70199
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to surrender early with no penalty due to damp and

Customer Question

I want to surrender early with no penalty due to damp and mould issues
Told agents 8 weeks ago about leaking roof and black mould in the main bedroom now having to sleep on the floor in the lounge
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Is this an AST?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

That is not good news.

Will they agree to you going?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No as we still have 8 months left on contract
House is not in the state we took on 3 months ago can not use 2 bedrooms due to mould and damp and have not had a shower working for 5 weeks due to a leak ! Has the landlord broke there contract ! Not keeping the property in a state we took on
Expert:  Jo C. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the landlord has but that doesn't allow you to leave.

It is really hard to escape an AST. You have to show that the property is literally uninhabitable through something like flooding or fire damage.

What you have is a disrepair claim. It is a good claim but it is a claim for compensation in disrepair not a ground to escape.

Environmental Health might give him an improvement notice anyway which might resolve the immediate issue.

Of course, the landlord might not want to be sued for disrepair and might prefer to allow you to leave.

Can I clarify anything for you?


Related UK Property Law Questions