How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33008
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am currently a Barnet Council Tenant with a non-secure

Customer Question

I am currently a Barnet Council Tenant with a non-secure tenancy. I paid rent arrears on the 17th December and forwarded an email on the same day. Barnet then sent me a notice to quit on the same day and said it was because in the last 6 months I never paid by rent in advance. I told them that since I have moved in to my property I have always paid a month in arrears which I had agreed with my first rent officer.
They are still proceeding with the notice to quit, is there anything I can do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

Do you have proof of paying in arrears and have you been consistent in paying in arrears on the same day?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have always paid at the end of the month.
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

The fact that you can prove the basis of how you have always paid will show to the court that you are consistent in this - you will say because this is what you were told. I would formally write to the council and stress this point. That they have thus erred in their position. Happy to discuss further. Please rate positive