How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Naveed Khan Your Own Question
Naveed Khan
Naveed Khan,
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 7
Experience:  Attorney - Freelancer at ELANCE
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Naveed Khan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

, i just bought a new property. Had a cowboy builder

Customer Question

Customer: Hi there
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i just bought a new property. Had a cowboy builder who supposed to do the plumbing of my bathroom. He didn't do anything correctly- mixed the hot and the cold water, install the pipes on a different places, broke the placterboards, ect i do have images of the work he has done... And I suppose to get somebody else to fix the mess..
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: At present he is bulling myself and my partner and is treating me.. Sending abussive text and he came to the property I am happy to pay for the advise and if i have to issue proceedings against him
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi there
please note that I sent the payment
Expert:  Naveed Khan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your query.

From the facts which you have stated, it seems that the workmanship was of substandard and unsatisfactory quality. Legally speaking, any person engaged to provide services must provide reasonable skill and competence and must complete the job in a satisfactory manner. Given that he has mixed the hot and cold water pipers, installed pipes in locations where he was not supposed to install, caused property damage whilst doing his work etc all seem to indicate the substandard nature of workmanship. If you brought someone else to fix the damage, it is a good 'mitigation of loss' step by you, which shows your bona fide to minimise your loss and get things in working order (in a successful civil action, you will be able to recover such costs). With regards ***** ***** plumber, I note that he is also abusing you and/or sending abusive text messages and coming on the property with intention to generate unnecessary pressure through his conduct so that you are forced into paying him.

Note, that with regards ***** ***** services provided to you, your action lies under civil law, whereby, you can claim damages for negligence in providing services and/or breach of contract.

As with abusive text messages and threatening conduct, your remedy lies under criminal law. So, for the civil law breaches, I suggest you send him a legal notice apprising him of his breach of duties and negligence. For his potential criminal act/behaviour, you need to report it to police, who will guide you with respect to any criminal sanctions under which he may be charged.

Lastly, I would also say that I consider you have strong evidence (images gathered etc) against him giving you greater merit for success.

Expert:  Naveed Khan replied 1 year ago.
Can you please rate me? I get paid only when you rate me. Thank you.