How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Clare Your Own Question
Clare, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 34263
Experience:  25 years exeperience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Clare is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can you get deeds ex council garage I purchased

Customer Question

how can you get deeds for an ex council garage I purchased privately
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

What evidence of ownership was actually produced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
previous ownership details with solicitor's letters confirming title and land certificate to a named individual.....on local solicitors headed paper stating title no DU 81180....I have receipt from local builder confirming purchase hand written. He is a well known local builder known by my son who is also in the building trade. I have been using garage since sept 2013 with no problems. H stated he paid cash for the garage but I cannot see any paperwork confirming this in the package / envelope he gave me at time of purchase.
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

Would that be a property in Seaham?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its a garage
Expert:  Clare replied 1 year ago.

All transactions are now Registered electronically at the Land Registry (or should be) and the number that you have been given is the Land Registry Title number

You can download the title deeds here

for a small fee.

My concern is that transferring ownership of Registered Land is a formal process involving forms that need to be filed - and it seems that this has NOT been done - however your position will be clearer once you have the copy documents

Please ask then if you need further assistance