How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10528
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son and s girlfriend rent a private flat in London 3

Customer Question

My son and his girlfriend rent a private flat in London 3 weeks ago they were burgled and the bedroom window was kicked in the landlord eventually got the window boarded up but has done nothing since . yesterday his girlfriend disturbed the burglers again as they had kicked in the boarding the landlord is still not taking this seriously can he withhold his rent till the window is replaced
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 1 year ago.

1. Your son and his girlfriend have no right to withhold the rent, but they do have a right to use the rent monies and repair the bedroom window and to fix it up so that it is secure. This is because a tenant is allowed to deduct the costs of reasonable repairs from the rent he is paying. So here your son should be a builder or some handyman to come bye and repair the window and then deduct the monies paid from his rental payments. Be sure he keeps a receipt so that it is clear to the landlord how much was paid. In these circumstances, the law gives a self-help remedy, not one of withholding rent.

Related UK Property Law Questions