Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I have a clause in my rrsidential lease stating that I can

Customer Question

Hi
I have a clause in my rrsidential lease stating that I can not make alterations. This cause seem to be absolute as it does not say anything about consent. Can my freeholder refuse to give consent unreasonably or demand a substantial premium for giving consent to the alterations ?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello. If this is an absolute prohibition on alterations, then you can't lawfully undertake alterations. You would need a waiver by the landlord, permitting the alterations notwithstanding the terms of the lease. Unfortunately, because there is no implication that consent might be forthcoming, I am afraid the landlord can seek a premium for waiving the clause on this occasion. Sorry!