How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1734
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a clause in my rrsidential lease stating that I can

Customer Question

I have a clause in my rrsidential lease stating that I can not make alterations. This cause seem to be absolute as it does not say anything about consent. Can my freeholder refuse to give consent unreasonably or demand a substantial premium for giving consent to the alterations ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 1 year ago.

Hello. If this is an absolute prohibition on alterations, then you can't lawfully undertake alterations. You would need a waiver by the landlord, permitting the alterations notwithstanding the terms of the lease. Unfortunately, because there is no implication that consent might be forthcoming, I am afraid the landlord can seek a premium for waiving the clause on this occasion. Sorry!