How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10593
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My neighbour has applied planning permission to build an

Customer Question

My neighbour has applied for a planning permission to build an extension the rear of the house - initially by 3 metres but this has now been reduced by 1.2m. However it is still long enough that will block our access to sunlight from morning to mid-day. We have lived in our ground floor flat for over 19+ years and I would like to know if there is anyway we can take an injunction against this extension being built or at least get some compensation for the loss of light?
Thank you in advance.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

1. Here you should liaise with your neighbour and seek to extract a payment in consideration for you withdrawing your planning objection. I regret to say that there is no such thing in English law as a "right to light". The planning process is the means whereby people's right to light is reconciled with other users rights. As you are probably aware, giant skyscrapers are built in London every year, without anyone getting compensated for their rights to light being infringed. So I regret to say that you will not be able to get an injunction to stop the development based on your right to light. Nor will you be entitled to damages, I regret to say. You will have to rely upon the planning process to uphold your right to light.