How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 33038
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bit of advice about retaining border walls please, I own a

Customer Question

Hi bit of advice about retaining border walls please, I own a retaining wall which holds up my neighbours drive. This wall over years gradually starting to crumble as holding up drive, who is responsible if drive falls in my property? If I pay and repair wall is it fair that the neighbour pays nothing as he said its my wall and not his responsibility.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.

It rather depends upon who has caused the damage to the wall. If the damage has in reality been caused by your neighbour because of his drive then he will be either all or part liable for cost of the wall or its repair. The best thing to do is to agree for a surveyor to have a look at the wall so that he can determine the question of liability. From what you have written it would appear to be the neighbour's fault and thus his responsibility - but in law you need an expert to confirm this - hence the surveyor. I hope that this helps. Happy to discuss. Please remember to rate positively. Thanks