Buachaill
Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

How easy is it to evict someone on a commercial site, with

Customer Question

how easy is it to evict someone on a commercial site, with no lease agreement, and no history of any rental payments?
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

1. Can you better explain the situation. How long has this business been in occupation of the site? Is the land registered land or unregistered land? How come there has been no rental agreement in place or rent paid? Has a Notice to Quit been served?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is land registered with and owned by a local church diocese; it is occupied by a school under a mere licence; no paperwork exists and no lease documentation between the owners of the school and the church and occupation is on a good faith basis, with no rental or other payments back to the church (although interested if the answer is different if there are payments?). What I am trying to determine is what case law says, or history has suggested, is the ability and length of time it might take for the church to evict the school - and whether or not it has happened before. I am in the UK.
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

2. You haven't told me how long the school has been in occupation. This has a direct bearing on what is possible.