Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My mother has received a an order on her property, an

Customer Question

My mother has received a an order on her property, an interim empty dwelling management order, this decision was made last month on the 21st July 2015. The house has been empty for 3 years due to my mother having ill health, the house does need attention to bring it back to a good standard. I have been making enquiries to buy the house from my mother with a view to bringing it in good condition and to live there. The property was broken into 2 years ago and temporary measures were made to secure the premises. The council official my mother dealt with was rude and abusive towards her, telling her to sell the house and move on ? My mother complained but never got a response, however it appears that the same official is the one who has pursued this order. A contactor who my mother engaged was stopped from undertaking works by a neighbour, who told the contractor that the house is being repossessed, she stated that a council official told her to inform the contractor.
The council have stated that they have sent correspondence to my address, where my mother is currently staying, which is untrue as no correspondence has arrived, until the order from the first tier tribunal property chamber. My mother is 86 years of age. can you offer some advice on how to deal with this matter. Kindest Regards, ***** ***** Burke.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 1 year ago.

What have you done thus far?