How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10627
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would appreciate your help with a problem I have at the

Customer Question

I would appreciate your help with a problem I have at the moment.
When I had my driveway widened I paid for the original path and dropped kerb to be dug up and the whole area to be constructed again so that it didn't look like an extra piece had been added to each side of the original path and dropped kerb.
National Grid have dug up my driveway in two places to replace the main gas pipe in the road.
They have filled the holes and it looks as if they are not planning to reinstate the drive as it was before the work.
I don't want the path and dropped kerb area of my driveway to look like a patchwork quilt and want to know if I have a right to have that area reinstated as it was before they carried out this work.
As I see it, this would involve digging up the existing concrete and replacing it.
Many Thanks
Jean Smith
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 years ago.

1. Dear Jean, you do have the right to require National Grid to return and reinstate the area as it was before they did the works. Essentially, a statutory contractor such as National Grid have an onus to return areas on which they work to the state they were in before the works were carried out. So you should formally write to them and state that you will initiate legal proceedings if they don't reinstate matters. Normally, National Grid are very good in this regard. However, you should write to them and point out the unsightly state of the works after they were completed. If you do not get a positive response, you should speak with a solicitor and if necessary, get proceedings instituted to remedy the situation.