How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would like to transfer our house, currenly owned jointly with wife to 100% wife. W

Customer Question

Would like to transfer our house, currenly owned jointly with wife to 100% for my wife.
We have a mortgage, but we also have the full deeds.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello. There's no reason why you can't gift your share in the house to your wife, but your mortgage lender would need to agree to this, and would (in practice) only consent if your wife can afford the mortgage payments on her own. If she could, and they agree, you'll need a solicitor to draw up a Transfer and deal with the registration at Land Registry. Expect to spend around £350 - £500 plus VAT on this. Hope this helps? WB