How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask wingrovebuyer Your Own Question
wingrovebuyer, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 737
Experience:  I am a property solicitor specialising in English Property Law, mines and minerals, sporting rights and rural property.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
wingrovebuyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My uncle has been using a field 10 years, in

Customer Question

Hello my uncle has been using a field for horses for over 10 years, in that time no-one has bothered with it. He has repaired fences etc. can he claim it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Do you know if the land is registered at Land Registry?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the field is registered with the Land Registry
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. He can now apply to register the land in his name, provided he has exclusively occupied the land for 10 years or more and hasn't paid rent, had permission or acknowledged the paper owner's title. He'll need to contact his local Land Registry office (Google will help here!) and ask about procedure, but generally there's a form to fill in and send to Land Registry, and he'll need to do a statement setting out his occupation and use of the land in support of the claim. Once a prima facie claim is established, Land Registry will notify the paper owner. If they don't respond within 3 weeks, the land will be registered to your uncle. If they do respond, they can effectively refuse to allow your uncle to have the land. This may also lead to them demanding he leaves the land, so there is some risk to the process. Hope this helps, WB
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello - please leave a rating or JA won't pay me for assisting you. Best, WB.
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello. Please leave a rating. Thanks, WB.