How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1731
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We bought a Grade II listed house in a conservation area in

Customer Question

We bought a Grade II listed house in a conservation area in December 2012. Recently a planning officer come to the house whilst we were on holiday; we spoke to him on return and was told our 10’ by 8’ shed “as a result of being in the curtilage of a listed
and under the requirements of Article 4” our shed is “unauthorised and should be removed” but that we do have the right to submit a planning application. We purchased the house from a very old gentleman whose family had lived here for two or three generations.
The gentleman has had a shed in the garden for many years; I believe it would be possible to get a photograph going back to the 1970’s. Our shed is a replacement of the previous owners and stands on the exact spot that it was before, on a concrete base laid
in the 70’s. My question is does the shed need planning permission if it was erected before Article 4 came into effect? And also when did Article 4 become law? Thank you for your help Amanda xxxx
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law