How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Judge Your Own Question
Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 32978
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Thomas Judge is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

HelloI am a tenant in a property and my contract is an

Customer Question

I am a tenant in a property and my contract is an Assured Shorthold Tenancy. I want to sublet the property on a short term basis to tourists. So basically they wouldn't stay for more than a week. There is a clause stating that I cannot sublet. So what are my options if I want to go for it? I will do the sublets through my private limited company and I will pay income tax as well. How could I do that legally? and if I can't do it 100% legal do you think even if I pay all my income tax the HMRC can ask me for the tenancy agreement, and if they see that there is a clause for prohibiting subletting this will be a problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
If you sublet it is not a matter of concern to HMRC on the basis that you pay the appropriate tax. The fact is that you will be in breach of your contract with the landlord and that would be grounds for possession should they decide to take such action.

Related UK Property Law Questions