Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, solicitor Advocate
Experience:  award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience
27487359

My daughter recently (2 weeks ago) paid an agent a renewal

Customer Question

My daughter recently (2 weeks ago) paid an agent a renewal fee to extend the tenancy a further 18 months. This was agreed by the Landlord. The forms were due to be signed today. Instead the agent has called to say the Landlord now wants vacant possession by the end of this month. What can be done!
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
When does the present tenancy come to an end
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It came to an end 1 July. but they had agreed a further 18 months and had paid the fee for the arrangement. However they were due to sign the new lease today but were instead told to be out by the end of this month
Without the lease having been signed she is going to be in difficulty to enforce an 18 month contract. That said as the origin lease has passed it will have rolled into a new lease on a month by month basis where the landlord will have to serve a s.21 notice to recover possession. The landlord will in any event now have to give two months notice.
Please remember to rate