How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10499
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We have occupied a strip of land 5mx25m years as it

Customer Question

We have occupied a strip of land 5mx25m for 36 years as it was derelict in 1979. No one has ever questioned this. The land has been fenced and gardened during this time with very mature fruit tree. And hedging.
A company has purchased the field behind us and submitted a planning application for 300+ houses including 'our' piece of land. We did have land this registered with the land registry 7 years ago.
How best to proceed?
The developers are from a long way away and may not know anything about this. Do we write and infirm them adapt or should we engage a solicitor immediately?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for you using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
You may feel that it would be worth instructing a Solicitor at this time to write to the Developers. As the land is registered to you, you might also want your Solicitor to check with the Land Registry that this is still the case, which he can do for a nominal fee of £6.
On the basis that it is of course your land, you will need to find out exactly why the Developer has used it in their application-
Whenever anyone applies for planning permission, they do not have to prove to the Council that they own the land in question, but I would have thought the Developer would have done his homework before submitting the application.
Your Solicitor will also be able to guide you through the possibility of selling your land to the Developer, if indeed this was something you were willing to do.
I hope this assists and answers your question.
Kind Regards