How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 10493
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I own a shred ownership property with my ex-wife, we broke

Customer Question

I own a shred ownership property with my ex-wife, we broke up in 2008 and have officially been divorced since 2010. I have been living in the property on my own since then and paid all the bill on this property since ownership in 2006.
I am now looking to get her removed from my mortgage and also the tenancy agreement with Hyde housing. How do I go about doing this? My ex-wife has agreed she wants nothing to do with the property and requires no money in the property. It's just a case of having her removed so I have sole ownership.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thanks for you using Just Answer.
My name is ***** ***** am happy to assist you with your enquiry.
I take it that you have a long term Lease (eg 99 year Lease) with Hyde?
I look forward to hearing from you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes I have a long term lease, 150 years I believe.
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply and apologies for the delay.
Firstly, you will need to approach your Mortgage Lender and complete a Transfer of Equity application form, requesting that the Mortgage be transferred into your sole name. Provided they consent, you will then have to instruct a local Conveyancing Solicitor to deal with the necessary paperwork, which will entail him preparing a Land Registry Transfer document which will need to be signed by you and your ex wife and your Lender. This document then needs to be regiatered at the Land Registry.
Your Solicitor will also go through your lease to see if there are any requirements to satisfy Hyde, although there isn't usually anything to be done in this regard, other than notifying them once the Transfer has completed, so they know to address any demands for rent to you alone.
Your Solicitor is likely to charge approx £400 plus VAT for this work, and there will also be a Land Registry fee of between £50-£90 depending on the value of your property.
If your ex wife does not wish to instruct a Solicitor to act for her in the Transfer, she will need to ask a local SOlicitor to certify her identity for Land Registry purposes, which is likely to cost her £20.
I hope this assists and sets out the legal position to you.
Kind Regards

Related UK Property Law Questions