Clare
Clare, Solicitor
Experience:  25 years exeperience
13262538

My solicitor has applied nearly 4 weeks ago

Customer Question

Hi , my solicitor has applied for probate nearly 4 weeks ago and should receive it soon, my late mothers house has now been sold and should be completing in about 4 weeks time. Could I make an offer on another house I would like to buy as I am sole beneficiary and the IHT has been paid . There are no other assets that need sorting as this has already been done
Category: UK Property Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just to add my late mothers house is mortgage free and she has no other debts to settle
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
You are free to make an offer on another house. However, do not exchange contracts until contracts are exchanged for your mothers house so that you have the comfort of knowing that the contract is concluded for that house.
I hope that helps.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** contracts on my mothers house are due to be exchanged soon and I haven't actually viewed a house yet. How long will the solicitor keep the proceeds of the house sale before releasing
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If you need the funds for a purchase he should have things organised so that they are immediately available. His account etc and all other expenses should be ascertained in advance of your settlement.
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Hi
To add to the above to discuss matters with the solicitor and check that the "Statutory Notices" have been published so that the estate can be distributed immediately
Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you Clare
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Hi
You are most welcome
Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to clarify Clare, can the "Statutory Notices" be published before the grant has been received or must it be after ?Thank you
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Hi
It is generally done after - as it is the final step prior to distribution and before the Grant is issued then the Executors have no legal Right to administer assets
Clare
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much Clare that has cleared all my queries
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
HI
You are most welcome - I hope all goes well
Clare