How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70216
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a AST and the landlord has landed us a bill

Customer Question

I have a AST and the landlord has landed us a bill for exterior painting and window repairs, (4500,00) along with a further bill for electrical upgrades. Is this correct? The agreement states we are to keep the windows, glazing and doors and electrician wiring in good tenantable repair but we have been given no option of finding our own tradesmen.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Thomas Judge replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate once you get my answer.
This sounds very bizarre and clearly outside the scope of the usual repairs one would expect. It has a feel of a try on. I would get photos of the relevant work and ask him to justify such a claim against you.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Whatever your contract says on the point, the landlord is liable for the upkeep of the guts and exterior of the property. The tenant is not.
Even if he could make you liable for that there is no obligation upon you to do wok that improves upon his property and that is just plain unjust enrichment.
There is no point in getting quotes. Just tell him that you do not accept you are liable and invite him to sue if he disagrees.
What he may try to do is deduct it from your deposit. If he does then complain to the scheme and you would win.
Can I clarify anything for you?

Related UK Property Law Questions