Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am a gaurantor to ex partner who rented and didnt stay at

Customer Question

I am a gaurantor to ex partner who rented and didnt stay at property a whole year but only six mths rent is �420 per mth.i have recieved a county court claim of 1498 .she has not recieved any claim for lost rent from the letting agency.have i any rights not to pay ?
Submitted: 2 years ago via InBrief.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
I am sorry but if you are within the guarantee then you are liable. That is what a guarantee means. It js the most altruistic contract you can enter I'm afraid.
What you can do though is sue her for any sum you have to pay. You do have a claim against her if you suffer loss.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Jo