UK Property Law

Get UK property law questions answered by Experts

I have signed a tenancy agreement months , but

Customer Question
Hi , I have...
Hi , I have signed a tenancy agreement for six months , but now i do not to go o n with it . Im the landlord initally I only wanted to do the tenancy for three months , but was talked into the agreement. Can I cancel the agreement? as its most inconvenient for us .
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: UK Property Law
5/27/2015
Solicitor: christhelawyer,
 replied 3 years ago
christhelawyer
Under section 66 of the Residential Tenancies Act a long term tenancy can be changed on the following basis
Solicitor: christhelawyer,
 replied 3 years ago
(1)On application by a party to a fixed-term tenancy, the Tribunal may make an order reducing the term of the tenancy by a period stated in the order, and making such variations in the terms of the tenancy as are necessary because of the reduction of the term, where it is satisfied that, because of an unforeseen change in the applicant's circumstances, the severe hardship which the applicant would suffer if the term of the tenancy were not reduced would be greater than the hardship which the other party to the tenancy would suffer if the term were reduced.(2)Where the Tribunal makes an order under subsection (1), the Tribunal may order that the applicant pay to the other party an amount determined by the Tribunal by way of reasonable compensation for any loss or damage to the other party which would result from the reduction in the term of the tenancy.
Solicitor: christhelawyer,
 replied 3 years ago
This answer is protected
Would you like to ask this question?
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.