How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1734
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Clare,I was wondering if you could help me please? I

Customer Question

Hi Clare,
I was wondering if you could help me please?
I broke up with an ex in 2008 and we had a mortgage together but were not married. The house was valued at £145k when we broke up with an outstanding mortgage of £113k. My ex partner wanted to keep the property and I did not want any of the equity (for various reasons). We agreed that he would continue to pay the mortgage and live there until a point in which he could obtain a remortgage on his own. It has been 7 years since we broke up and due to his poor credit rating and the house as dropped in value to c£125k, he is unable to get a remortgage. He failed to make 2 payments last year which have obviously now impacted my credit score and so I am desperate to get this sorted asap. I have also discovered that he is renting the property out at £300 over the cost of the mortgage. The rate we have is a variable rate and is very favorable compared to current rates (BR+2%) and so I think part of his motivation not to sort this is that if he were to find a remortgage he would make less on the rental income.
Do I have any options here? I assume I might be able to force a sale in the courts, but wanted to avoid this due to the costs I imagine are involved. Is there any other option?
I'd welcome any advice you might have on this.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Clare replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
I will do my best to help you but I need some further information first.
is he currently living at the property?