How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Aston Lawyer Your Own Question
Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Property Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 1731
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Aston Lawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We extended our tenancy by 18 months in December 2014.Our

Customer Question

Hi.We extended our tenancy by 18 months in December 2014.Our AST states that after 6 months we can give 2 months notice but now the agent is saying that we have to be in the property for at least 12 months or try to find new tenants ourselves. The agent has said "This tenancy agreement is for letting furnished or unfurnished residential accommodation on an assured short hold tenancy within the provisions of the Housing Act 1988".According to the Housing Act 1988 that has been given to us it states that "Provided you keep to the terms of the tenancy, you are entitled to remain in the dwelling for at least the first 12 months". This to me means that we can stay for at least 12 but also longer rather than to mean that we have to stay for 12 months. Could you please help to with this as I feel the agent is being unfair. Thanks.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Can you kindly give me the exact wording of the break clause from your new tenancy agreement please?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Ideally I would have liked to attach the agreement. It is a little difficult to type it all. Is there any way to cancel this and get my money back as I can see it is a little difficult to do it this way.


Expert:  Joshua replied 2 years ago.
Yes of course that is no problem. In case it is of interest the site does offer something called "additional services" which among other things allows us to trasnfer to communicate direct by email. The site charges a separate fee for this but I can specify the minimum fee which is about £3 so it does not add substantively to the cost. You could then email over the agreement privately to me at my email address - I have over 10 years experience in housing law so this shold be pretty easy to give a definitive view upon with sight of the break provision.Otherwise if you visit the below link you can organise a refund.I hope you are able to resolve the matter whether or not I am able to help you further.Best wishes