How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70505
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have purchased a house and completion is in June. I am currently

Customer Question

I have purchased a house and completion is in June. I am currently renting and have been renting for 3 years with a private landlord. I had to renew my tenancy from 1st april only because there is no point moving out until completion of my purchase. There is no break clause for this current extension 6 month contract until sept but i cant pay my mortgage and rent. What can i do. I have been a very good tenant for the last 3 years, never missing rent but i think my landlord will not agree to let me go even if i give him 2 months notice. What can i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
Are you asking if you can give notice?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo

I need to move out in July when i complete my purchase. I cannot fulfill to the end of contract which is in september. What can i do now. My landlord will not accept even a 2 months notice

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No, the trouble is that he is not under any obligation to. You are locked into an AST until September.
You can leave early of course. The difficulty though is that you remain liable for the rent until September however much notice you give.
If you do leave early then you will be acting in breach of contract. The landlord though is under a duty to mitigate his loss by seeking a replacement tenant. If he is able to do so then you are released from your obligations.
Can I clarify anything for you?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Jo thank you for your answer. I live on a road where this property will be snapped up in no time. What if i can find him a replacement for the 2 months as i simply cannot afford?. What happens if he took this to small claims court? Will i be allowed to make an instalment plan as it is impossible not to be able to find a tenant for this property.

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
He doesn't have to accept your replacement although it shouldn't be unreasonably refused.
He could sue at the small claims court but he would have to be able to prove he had looked and couldn't find a replacement which is obviously not likely given the housing crisis in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much for your answer. This has given me options going forward. One final question though, i jave used this service before last year using my other email address. When i provided that same email address the registration declined it resulting in me having to use another email address, this one which is not very active. Is tjer any other way ican reset it?

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I'm sure there is but I am never involved in things like that.
You need to email customer services on***@******.***
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Jo

Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No problem and all the best.
Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile