How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70304
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am fed up with being a landlord as it seems everything is

Resolved Question:

I am fed up with being a landlord as it seems everything is weighted in favour of tenant!
A young girl on housing benefit has just announced she will be moving out of her flat on Monday. Her six month tenancy does not expire for another six weeks. There seems nothing I can do to enforce a notice period as the local council will stop her housing benefit the minute she leaves. Where do I stand?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: UK Property Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

I'm afraid that the law is heavily biased in favour of the tenant regardless of whether or not they are deserving of that protection.

In this particular situation, you can keep her deposit if she paid one which I realise is unlikely or you can sue her at the small claims court.

I realise that she will be whinging and complaining and saying that she has no money but at least if you have a CCJ you can instruct bailiffs to seize her car or other valuables.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you