How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jo C. Your Own Question
Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70179
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a tenant doesnt pay council tax and then runs away without

This answer was rated:

If a tenant doesn't pay council tax and then runs away without also paying the rent, can council come after landlord for the council tax if council tax wasn't landlord's responsibility while tenant was there and the landlord was not aware that tenant didn't pay council tax?

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Was the tenant on an AST please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes. What would be the difference if not?

I am sorry for the delay. I lost my connection.

Yes, it would make a difference to a degree. There is a hierarchy of liable persons for council tax. The tenant is generally the primary target depending on the type of contract he is on. Those tenants on ASTs or periodics who have exclusive possession of the property are usually the preferred target for the Council.

The landlord is only liable as a rule if the tenant is on something like a HMO or some other fairly fluid tenancy agreement.

The Council will consider the landlord liable if the tenant has not been registered as the liable person for council tax though.

If you are the landlord and you do have to pay though then you can always sue the tenant at the small claims court to recover.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Jo C. and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Property Law Questions