How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stuart J Your Own Question
Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Category: UK Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 22624
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
Type Your UK Property Law Question Here...
Stuart J is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are currently in an assured shorthold tenancy agreement

This answer was rated:

We are currently in an assured shorthold tenancy agreement and have just been given a notice to quit. However, we previously had a verbal agreement in place that we wouldn't be given a notice to quit until one of our parents had died (they live with us,) but our landlord is saying his circumstances have changed and he needs the property back. Is the agreement regarding the term of the contract legally binding? If so, how do we go about enforcing it? Thanks in advance for your reply. Ali Shaw.
can we have the full background to the tenancy please?
What paperwork do you have?
I need as much detail as possible please. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have been living in the property for 4 years. The initial 12 months were a fixed term agreement, and when that ended the landlord said he didn't want to do another contract as he didn't want to pay the fees. We agreed to go without a written contract on the condition that our tenancy would be safe until one of our parents died. The only paperwork we have is the initial 12 month contract.

How much notice has he given?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have been given 2 months notice.

Thank you.

It doesn't matter whether you have a formal
tenancy agreement in respect of your current occupation or not. This has now
become what is known as a Periodic Tenancy and the landlord is entitled to give
you two months notice which I am sorry to have to tell you is as much as you
are entitled to. It is also as much as your parents would have been entitled to
under the same circumstances.

I'm sorry, I appreciate that this is not the
answer you wanted but there is no point in me misleading you.

Does that answer the question? Can I assist
further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively
rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should
now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions
after rating my answer service.

Rating doesn't close the enquiry at
all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to
read and ask for further clarification.


PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and
weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only
type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not
hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but
sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn't make sense.
It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.

Stuart J and other UK Property Law Specialists are ready to help you